Jenn Swanson’s motto is to engage, encourage and empower others to step into their success. Through her podcast, facilitation and speaking, online courses and an Amazon-best-selling book, Jenn endeavors to inspire people to be able to get the job they want, love the work that they do, and to advance their careers. Jenn has a background in healthcare (working and teaching at the college level), a Master’s Degree in Public and Pastoral Leadership, is a certified conflict coach and Master NLP Practitioner, is an ordained clergy member in the United Church of Canada, and serves as the minister of a small yet vibrant congregation in a half-time capacity when not podcasting or helping people in career transition. When not working, Jenn and her husband (sometimes in the company of their 4 kids) love to cook and garden and enjoy a good glass of red wine! In this episode, Jenn joins me to explore a significant career transition she made a number of years back when she left a toxic work environment to create something more life-giving. Join us as we discuss:
- Her love of teaching and helping others find their success
- The difficulty of a protracted season of employment in a toxic work environment
- The “thought loop” of change that contributes to exhaustion, stress and feelings of being stuck
- The importance of limiting conversations about the “spin and swirl” of change and the gift of engaging things that are life-giving
- Creating time to listen to your life during challenging seasons
- The importance of “looking after me” to make it through transition
- Starting your day with a mindful practice to keep perspective before the demands begins
- Sitting down with yourself to “take stock” to do two things: figure out what you really love and what you can translate that into
- Identifying the “treasure” of your calling regardless of the level of change (or role, job title, career, etc.)
- Why do we have a team of people to plan a wedding that lasts one day, but when it comes to planning a life we resist getting help?
- You as your best investment during transition
- The Discipline of Self-care: From “Yeah, I know.” to “I’m doing it.”
- Whatever the change, it’s not the whole of you.
Careers by Jenn: Get the Job. Love your work. Advance your career. With Jenn Swanson