Rachel Vander Pol is not only an award-winning resume writer but also a recovering world wanderer. Rachel lives in San Diego, CA where she runs her own company called RVP Career Services. She helps job seekers around the world craft interview-winning career documents, from resumes to cover letters to LinkedIn profiles. She loves to collaborate with clients to dig deep into their past experiences to help them step into their future careers.
Finding her dream job wasn’t easy. There were a lot of “shoulds” – the expectations and obligations set by others – making that difficult. Several years back, Rachel was stuck in a career cul-de-sac of listless job wandering. Through a lot of deep personal discovery and some critical heart shifts, she would leave the comforts of what was safe and known to follow a dream of living and working in Ireland. Eventually, this pursuit of desire led her to start a business that helps others land their dream job.
In this episode, Rachel shares of her career transition to leave a life imprisoned by the expectations of others and the avoidance of her personal desires to discovering a more life-giving ‘next’ connected to her gifts and rooted in the pursuit of a dream. Join us as we discuss:
- The pattern of listlessly wandering in a career; quickly going from the honeymoon phase of a new job to “this is not it”
- Career discontent as something to get rid of versus something to listen to
- Utilizing community as a way to see patterns
- Writing exercise: stories from the future to identify the clues of agency and and a dream
- Learning to listen to desire and pushing into it
- Life guided by “shoulds”: plans according to the expectations and obligations of others
- Her 30th birthday: a culminating moment of blah that invited the courage to take a huge leap of faith
- Sometimes running away from a dream can look like staying put
- Moving to Ireland as learning to live her life with desire
- The allure to go back to what feels safe
- From following the path others took to becoming fiercely comfortable to making my own path
- Learning to be fiercely independent, growing my business and in relationship at the same time
- Exploring the work of being an entrepreneur and its connection to personal growth
- Learn to trust yourself as you navigate transition
- The importance of self-care to get through it
Whether you know where you want to head in your career or still wondering what you ‘want to be when you grow up,’ a well-crafted resume will help you get to the next step. Rachel offers everything from resume critiques to full career document packages. Visit rvpcareerservices.com to see all she has to offer or to book a free 30-minute consultation.